USS Potomac IV

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Potomac IV AG-25

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Potomac IV

(AG 25: dp. 416 (f); 1. 165'; b. 23'9"; dr. 8'1"; s. 13 k.; cpl.
45; a. none; cl. Potomac)

The fourth Potomac, the presidential yacht, formerly the

Coast Guard ship Electra, was laid down 5 March 1934 Iaunehed 30 June 1934 by Manitowoe Ship Building Company, Manitowoc, Wis.; and completed 26 October 1934. The ship was taken over by the Navy from the Coast Guard 8 November 1935 and was designated AG-25 11 November. Renamed Potomae 30 January 1936 she commissioned 2 March 1936 at Norfolk Navy Yard, Lt. W. R. Jones in command.

Serving as the official yacht for President Roosevelt, AG-25
operated primarily in the Chesapeake Bay area, but made occasional cruises to Florida and the Bahamas with the President and first lady on board. She transported the President to Cape Cod where he boarded the cruiser Augusta for the eonferenee with Prime Minister Churehill formulating
Atlantic Charter. In 1941, due to increased equipment added to the superstructure, the ship became top heavy and was condemned as unseaworthy. The Navy recommended that another ship be substituted but the approach of war prevented sueh action, however, the President ordered the ship not to operate in open waters.

Replaced by Williameburg, and decommissioned 18 November 1945, Potomac was returned to the Coast Guard 23 November, and struck from the Navy List 25 February 1946. She was transferred to the State of Maryland later in 1946 and served with the Tidewaters Fisheries Commission until sold to Warren G. Toone in April 1960 and placed in service as a ferry boat between San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. She was subsequently purchased by the Hydro Capital Co., refurbished, and used as a traveling historical museum of the Franklin D. Roosevelt era. In January 1964 she was purchased by Elvis Presley and given to St. Jade's Hospital, Memphis, Tenn.