USS Peridot

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Peridot PYc-18

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Peridot


(PYc-18: dp. 300 (f.); 1. 144'7"; b. 22'; dr. 8'; s. 13 k.; cpl.
48; a. 1 3", 6.S0 eel. mg., 2.30 eel. mg., 2 dct.)

Peridot (PYc-18) was built as yacht Bymar by Defoe Boat and Motor Works, Bay City, Mich. in 1938; acquired by the Navy from Mr. Byron D. Miller of Palm Beach, Fla., 22 December 1941; renamed Peridot and elassified PYc-18 on 27 December 1941; converted for patrol operations by Merrill Stevens Dry Dock Co., Miami, Fla., between 6 January and 8 April 1942; and commissioned 11 April 1942, Lt. (jg) H.C. Johnston in command.

Following shakedown out of Mayport, Fla., Peridot departed Florida 29 June. With Paramount (AMc-92), she es

eorted three YPs to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; thence, she steamed via the Panama Canal to San Diego, arriving 5 August. After repairs and training, she headed for duty in the Hawaiian Islands 5 October. She reached Pearl Harbor 18 October and later that month, began inter-island patrol runs under the command of the Commander 14th Naval Distriet.

During the remainder of the war, Peridot ranged the waters of the Hawaiian Sea Frontier AS an escort and patrol ship. Following the Japanese surrender, the coastal patrol yacht returned to San Pedro, Calif., in October. She operated in Southern California waters until she decommissioned at Terminal Island 3 January 1946. Her name was struck from the Naval Register 21 January 1946. She was turned over to the Maritime Commission 29 September 1946.