USS Opal

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Opal PYc-864

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Opal
(PYc-864

Opal (PYG-8) was built in 1928 as yseht Coronet at Germania Werft, Kiel, Germany: purchased from her owner, M. S. Bush, 27 January 1941, converted at Merrill-Stevens Drydock Co., Miami, Fla.; and commissioned 10 June 1941.

Opal emerged in August 1941 after additional availability periods and reported 23 August at Guantanamo, Cuba for service in the 10th Naval District. PYG-8 patrolled off that naval base and among the Greater Antilles prior to arrival Trinidad, 24 April 1942, for similar "inshore Datrol" duties. Early in October she sailed to the Charleston Navy Yard for installation of new sound detection equipment before returning to action against German submarines in the Caribbean.

Employed frequently during the first 8 months of 1943 on escort missions between Guantanamo and Trinidad Opal departed the former 26 August for the Panama Canal Zone Reassigned she became a replacement for another PYc pre viously designated to serve as a training ship for Ecuadorian naval crews. At first transferred on loan to Ecuador 23 September 1943, she was purchased by that government, 13 May 1949, and struck from the Navy List 7 June 1949. Renamed Manabi, she served the Ecuadorian Navy until struck in 1960 and scrapped.