USS Magdalena II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Magdalena II YFB-54

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Magdalena

II

(YFB-54- t. 196; 1. 12116"; b. 33'2"; dt. 8'6")

The second Magdalena, a ferryboat, was built in 1888 at Portland, Oreg., and served as 88 City of Seattle. She was requisition-purchased by the Navy from the city of Martinez, Calif., and delivered to the Mare Island Navy Yard 10 August 1944. Renamed Magdalena 9 September, she was placed in service 23 November and assigned to the 12th Naval District at San Francisco. Magdalena provided ferry service between Mare Island and Vallejo, Calif., during the remainder of World War 11. She continued to operate in the 12th Naval District until 14 October 1946 when she was placed out of service at Mare Island and subsequently transferred to Suisun Bay, Calif. Her name was struck from the Navy list 7 February 1947, and she wag transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 25 December 1947.