USS Gull II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Gull II YMS-24

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Gull II

(YMS - 24: dp. 270; 1. 136'; b. 25'; dr. 8'; s. 14 k; cpl. 34)

The second Gull (AMS-16) was launched as AMS~16 by the Al Larson Boat Shop, Terminal Island, Calif., 14 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. William Toman, and commissioned 28 February 1944, Lt. B. F. Silviern, USNR, in command.

After shakedown and minesweeping training, YMS~24 sailed from San Pedro 20 June 1944 via Pearl Harbor and reached Guadalcanal 1 August to prepare for the coming invasion of Peleliu. She put in at Peleliu and swept her first enemy mine 14 September, the day before the famous 1st Marine Division stormed ashore, and for the next month continued minesweeping operations there and at Ulithi. Sailing from Ulithi 14 October for the attack on the Ngulu Islands, the ship swept mines under enemy fire without damage or casualties and subsequently continued h er duties at Ulithi until departing 19 March 1945 for Okinawa. YMS-S24 aided in clearing the approaches to Okinawa, and remained in those waters until the fall of 1945, returning to San Pedro, Calif., 20 September 1945 15 months to the day from the time she left.

Redesignated Gulf (AMS-16) 18 February 1947, she returned to the western Pacific in the autumn of 1947, via Pearl Harbor, and conducted peacetime training until putting in at Chinampo, Korea, 2 November 1950 to support United Nations forces by sweeping mines in those wintry waters. Gull remained of Chinampo for more than a month and through her untiring efforts the approaches to that port were cleared, allowing an evacuation accomplished without loss of life. For this hazardous duty a
was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation.

On 1 August 1954 Gull was redesignated AMCU-46 and underwent conversion at Yokosuka, Japan. Redesignated again as MHC - 6 on 7 February 1955, she returned to Long Bench, Calif., in May, 1955, and subsequently conducted peacetime training duty out of southern California ports until 14 January 1958. Decommissioned at San Diego that date, she was disposed of in March 1959.

Gull was awarded two battle stars for World War lI service and nine battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for Korean service.

 

'); ');