USS Wahaka YTB-526

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Wahaka YTB-526

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Wahaka

(YTB-526: dp. 310 (f.); 1. 101'0", b. 28'0"; dr. 11'0";
s. 12 k.; cpl. 10; cl. Sassaba)

Wahaka (YTB-526) was laid down on 2 June 1945 at Jacksonville, Fla., by the Gibbs Gas Engine Co., Inc.; launched on 9 September 1945, sponsored by Mrs. Charles Strohmeyer, wife of Lt. Charles Strohmeyer, an officer who was attached to the Industrial Manager's Office, Jacksonville, Fla.; and completed on 3 December 1945.

Allocated to the 11th Naval District, San Diego, Calif., upon completion, Wahaka was briefly placed in reserve before being activated once more in December of 1947 for service in the 6th Naval District. She operated out of Charleston, S.C., through the 1950's, providing tug and tow service as well as pilot assistance. In 1962—the same year in which the ship was reclassified as a medium harbor tug (YTM-526)—the versatile workhorse harbor craft was assigned to Advanced Bases, Atlantic Area. She remained active in that assignment into 1979.
hjk