USS Rutoma

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Rutoma SP-78

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Rutoma

(SP-78: t. 29, 1. 68', b. 12' dr. 3'6"; dph. 5'9"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 9; a. 1 1-pdr., 2 mg.)

Rutoma was built during 1910 by Seabury Co., Morris Heights, N.Y., as the wooden private boat Manchonac, acquired on 18 April 1917 for United States Navy service as a patrol boat under her second name Rutoma from her owner, Graham T. Thompson of New Haven, Conn.; and commissioned on 26 April 1917, Ens. George D. Atwood, USNRF, in command.

Rutoma patrolled in the 3d Naval District during 1917 and 1918, operating in Long Island Sound and eastward to New Haven, Conn. Transferred to New York at war's end, Rutoma was rammed and sunk on 21 February 1918 by the tug S.S. John L. Lewis off Pier
No. 6 in the East River, N.Y. The patrol boat was raised the following day by salvage crews from the salvage vessel Resolute. Rutoma was subsequently sold on 16 September 1919 to Reinhard Hall of Brooklyn N.Y., remaining on mercantile registers into the 1930's.