USS Ruby

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Ruby PY-21

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Ruby

(PY-21: dp. 640 (f.); 1. 190'11"; b. 26'6"; dr. 10'6"; s 13.5 k
cpl. 67; a. 1 3")

Patrol craft Ruby (PY-21), formerly Placida, was built as a diesel motor yacht in 1930 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, purchased by the Navy from H. G. Haskell 19 June 1941; converted to a patrol vessel at Gibbs Gas Engine Co. Jacksonville, Fla.; commissioned 23 September 1941; and assigned to the 6th Naval District at Charleston, S.C., for escort duty.

From 10 February 1942 to 18 January 1944 Ruby was assigned to the Eastern Sea Frontier, retaining her homeport of Charleston. On the 18th she was reassigned to the 3d Naval District at New York, and 3 days later was given to the 1st Naval District at Boston for training purposes.

Ruby decommissioned at Boston 25 July 1945, was struck from the Navy list 13 August 1945, and transferred to the Maritime Commission 26 December.