USS Resolute III

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Resolute III SP-1309

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Resolute III

(SP-1309: t. 453; Ibp. 135'; b. 30'; dr. 14'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 55)

The third Resolute, a wooden salvage tug, was built during 1916 at Great Lakes Engineering Co., Ashtabula, Ohio, as S.S. Sarah E. McWilliams; purchased 8 August 1918 for the U.S. Navy from her owner, Merritt & Chapman Co. of New York; and commissioned 10 September 1918, Lt. (jg.) William E. Marcyes, USNRF, in command.

Resolute was based at Central District Salvage Station, Stapleton, Staten Island, N.Y., throughout her Navy career. She performed local towing duty, took part in several salvage operations, and assisted in patrolling the local anchorages into 1919. Decommissioned 15 May 1919, Resolute was sold to her former owner the same day.

During early 1942 Resolute again served the Navy, operating for several months under a charter to perform salvage work on the east coast. Resolute remained in mercantile service until scrapped in 1955.