USS Relief IV

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Relief IV SP-2170

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Relief IV

(SP-2170: dp. 1,386 1. 200'; b. 30'3"; dr. 15'; dph. 20'7"; s.
li.5 k.; epl. 58; a. none)

The fourth Relief, a steel wrecking tug built during 1907 by Harlan & Hollingsworth, was acquired 8 August 1918 for U.S Navy service from the Merritt & Chapman Derrick and Wreeking Co. of New York; and commissioned 19 August 1918.

Relief operated as a salvage and wrecking tug in the New York area while assigned to the 3d Naval District into 1919. She was sold to her former owner 14 May 1919, and remained in eommereial service between the two world wars. Returned to Navy service during World War II, Relief was operated by her owner under direction of the Bureau of Ships from 14 January 1942. Relief subsequently returned to mercantile service and was placed out of service in 1955.