USS Reliance II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Reliance II WSC-150

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Reliance II

(WSC-150: dp. 220; 1. 125'; b. 23'6"; dr. 9'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 38; a. 1 3")

Reliance, built for the Coast Guard as an Active-elass patrol boat by Ameriean Brown Boveri Electrical Corp., Camden, N.J., launched 4 April 1927 and commissioned 26 April at Camden. Through October 1928, she was assigned patrol and rescue operations in the area of New York City. During this time she served as an occasional unit of the floating equipment utilized by the Coast Guard in its battle against the seagoing rumrunners.

Upon transfer from New York City in 1928, Reliance assumed patrol operations in lower New York Bay, operating out of ~Stapleton, Borough of Richmond, N.Y., through May 1933.

Her permanent station was transferred to Norfolk, Va., 22 May and she performed patrol and rescue operations in the Tidewater area until late 1935. She then shifted station to Honolulu, Hawaii, where she was operating at the outbreak of World War II. Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy. Reliance was assigned patrol and rescue operations Ollt of the base at Cordova, a coastal town in southeast Alaska.

Reliance continued to operate out of Cordova until the end of the war. She returned to the Treasury Department 1 January 1946 and served the Coast Guard until she decommissioned 8 August 1947. She was sold 16 June 1948.