USS Quinnebaug III

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Quinnebaug III SP-1687

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Quinnenbaug III

(SP-1687: dp. 5,150; 1. 375'; b. 42'; dr. 18'6"; s. 17 k.; cpl.
345; a. 1 5", 2 3", 2 ma)

Quinnebaug (SP-1687), formerly Jefferson, was built in 1899 by Delaware River Iron and Shipbuilding and Engineering Works, Chester, Pa., for the Old Dominion Steamship Co

chartered by the Navy 3 December 1917, converted to a mine planter by Robbin's Repair Ba in and DryDock Co., Brooklyn N:Y., and commissioned at Brooklyn 28 March 1918, Comdr. David Pratt Mannix in command.

Quinnebaug reported to the Atlantic Mine Force and was ordered 13 May 1918 to Invergordon, Scotland for mining operations in the North Sea with Mine Squadron 1. From 14 July to 26 October, she successfully completed ten mining missions screened by British destroyers of the 14th Flotilla (Grand Fleet). Quinnebaug was not diverted from her mission by two encounters with German submarines 20-21 September and succeeded in planting approximately 6 040 mines in the Northern Barrage. Upon completion of this duty she returned home, decommissioned at Philadelphia 6 February 1919, and was returned to her owner 19 March 1919.