USS Nemaha

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Nemaha WSC-148

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Nemaha
(WSC-148: dp. 220; 1. 125'; b. 23;6"; dr. 9'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 38;

Neinaha, built for the Coast Guard as an Active class patrol boat by American Brown Boveri Electrical Corp., Camden, N.J., commissioned 19 April 1927. She was first assigned c.oastal patrol and rescue operations out of New London, Conn., where she served until July 1931. During this time the patrol boat was occasionally assigned to enforce the Volstead Act.

Nemaha departed New London 9 July and transferred to Pascagoula, Miss. There she assumed patrol operations in Gulf waters, where she operated through 1934.

In 1935 her permanent station was shifted to San Francisco and she performed local patrol and rescue operations in the Bay area until World War II. She proceeded to Ketchikan, Alaska just prior to 1 November 1941, when Executive Order 8929 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy. Most of Nemaha's war operations were in the Aleutian Islands, partieularly in the area of Dutch Harbor. Her most noteworthy rescue operation took place 2 June 1942, when she rescued Navy Lt. L. D. Campbell and his PBY crew after their plane was forced down about eighty miles off Umnak Island.

When the Coast Guard returned to the Treasury Depart. ment 1 January 1946, Nemaha remained in an active status and returned to San Francisco, where she continued patrol and rescue duties. Shortly thereafter she decommissioned, went into storage, and was sold for merchant use in 1948. Through 1957 she was active as Sea Monarch II, with W. C. Gibson as managing owner and Vancouver, B. C. as her port of registry.