USS Kittery II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Kittery II PC-1201

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Kittery

II

(PC-1201: dp. 295; 1. 174'; b. 23'; dr. 8'; s. 20 k; cpl. 60; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 3 20mm., 2 rkt., 2 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. PC-592)

PC-1201 was laid down 12 December 1942 by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.Y.; launched 14 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. E. Bradbury and Commissioned 11 June, Lt. (j.g.) William W. Huffman in command.

After shakedown and sound training off Florida, PC1201 was assigned to escort convoys in the Caribbean. Arriving Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 20 August 1943, she sailed 7 days later on her first escort cruise to Trinidad. Throughout the remaining months of World War II, PC1201 continued the Guantanamo-Trinidad runs protecting supply laden convoys from evening U-boat attacks.

After the defeat of Nazi Germany, the sub chaser continued air-sea rescue operations out of Trinidad and Cuba until she sailed for New York via Puerto Rico and Norfolk, arriving Tompkinsville, Staten Island, N.Y., 21 June. PC1201 decommissioned there 30 July 1946, then began duty as a Naval Reserve Training Ship. She operated in this status until 1950 when she joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Boston.

While berthed at Boston, PC-1201 was named Kittery 15 February 1956. She was sold 9 October 1959 to Hughes Brothers Inc., New York, N.Y.