USS Killarney

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Killarney SP-219

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Killarney

A former name retained.

(SP-219: t. 32 ; 1. 64'10 " ; b. 13'; dr. 4'6" ; 10 k. ; a. none)

Killarney (SP-219), a motor yacht, was built by Defoe Boat Works, Bay City, Mich., in 1910; purchased 30 April 1917 from her owner, James H. McGillan, of Green Bay, Wis., and commissioned 12 June, Ens. James H. McGillan, USNRF, in command.

Assigned to the Naval District at Great Lakes, Ill., Killarney served as a section patrol ship on the St. Mary's River in the Straits of Mackinac during the summer and fall of 1917. She wintered in Detroit and continued her duties on Lake St. Clair and the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers, where she patrolled channels and regulated traffic., Killarney was transferred 3 March 1919 to the Naval Training Camp at Detroit and declared inactive 12 August. Struck from the Navy List 3 November, Killarney was sold 18 December to John J. Kiley of Detroit.