USS Harvard II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Harvard II SP-209

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Harvard II

(SP-209: dp. 804; 1. 243'; b. 32'; dr. 12'6"; s. 12 k.; a. 4 3-pdr.)

The second Harvard, a steel yacht, was built as Eleanor by Bath Iron works, Bath, Maine, in 1904 and leased Wacouta by the Navy from G. F. Baker, New York, N.Y., 23 April 1917. Wacouta was renamed Harvard and commissioned 10 May 1917 at New York, Lt. A. G. Sterling in command.

After being fitted out for overseas service, Harvard departed New York 9 June 1917 with a convoy, and arrived at Brest, France, 4 July. She then engaged in patrol duties out of Brest, and on 16 July picked up 59 survivors from the ill-fated British steamship Trelissick. Trelissick had been torpedoed and sunk 15 July, after having rescued some 30 men from another torpedoed British ship, Exford, the day before. Harvard returned the survivors from both ships safely to Brest.

Continuing her duties around Brest, Harvard performed as a harbor patrol and coastal convoy ship. She assisted the torpedoed merchantman Texas 29 November 1917 and searched for survivors of the sinking of Hundaago, a Norwegian steamship, 4 August 1918.

Harvard departed for England 21 November 1918 and remained there until June 1919, when she returned to New York via Bermuda. The yacht was decommissioned and turned over to her owner 26 July 1919.