USS Hampton II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Hampton II PCS-1386

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Hampton II

(PCS-1386; dp. 251; 1. 136'; b. 25'; dr. 9'; s. 14 k.; cpl. 59; a. 1 40mm., 2 20mm., 2 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.), 2 dct;cl.)

PCS-1886 was laid down by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, N.Y., 15 May 1943; launched 28 September 1944; and commissioned 4 November, Lt. Thomas R. McMahan in command.

Equipped with the latest sonar gear, PCS-1386 was assigned to the Fleet Sound School Squadron following her shakedown period. From her arrival at Key West 25 November 1944, until the end of the war she trained officers and enlisted men in the intricate art of submarine detection. The students later contributed to the war effort by operating the range recorder and Attack plotter on the hunter-killer destroyers and destroyer escorts. Through the Navy's excellent ASW methods the enemy submarine threat was neutralized and the victorious conclusion of World War II was hastened.

After the war PCS-1886 continued training operations based at Key West and in addition performed exercises in the Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico from 1946 to 1956. PCS-1886 was named Hampton 15 February 1956 and decommissioned 27 April 1956. Hampton was transferred to the 5th Naval District and assigned to the Naval Reserve Training Center, Baltimore. Hampton operated as a training ship until she was struck from the Navy List 1 July 1959 and disposed of by Navy sale.

 

'); ');