USS Niagara VI Navy History, History, USS Navy, Battleships, Carriers, Cruisers">

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Niagara VI SP-136

Niagara VI
(SP-136: dp. 2,690; 1. 282'0"; b. 43'0", dr. 17'0"; s. 12 k.cpl. 195; a. 4 4", 2 mg., 1 Y-gun)

The sixth Niagara (SP-136), a steam yacht built in 1898 by Harlan and Hollingsworth, Wilmington, Del., was purehased by the Navy 10 August 1917 from Howard Gould of New York City; converted into an armed patrol yacht, and oommissioned m the Tebo's Yacht Basin, Brooklyn, N.Y 16 April 1918, Comdr. E. B. Larimer in command.

Niagara departed New York 21 May as escort for a merehant eonvov bound for Bermuda and the Azores. She arrived at Ponta Delgada, Azores, 12 August and departed 10 days later to join the American Patrol Detachment at Grassy Bay Bermuda. On 5 September she stood out of the latter port to rescue and tow in the merchant sloop Gauntlet adrift after her sails had been carried away in a storm. On 14 September the patrol yacht sailed for Martinique, West Indies, to escort the French cable ship Ponyer Quertier, arriving Fort-de-France on the 19th. The two ships operated in the West Indies visiting Trinidad, Barbados, Martinique, and Puerto Rico, until Niagara stood out from Port of Spain, Trinidad, 13 December for Charleston, S.C. She entered the New York Navy Yard 13 May 1919 for repairs before training out of New London and New York.

Niagara departed New York 25 September for Key West, then eruised off the coast of Mexico and between ports in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida. Other missions took her off Honduras, Guatemala, and Cuba. Reclassified PY-9 on 17 July 1920, she continued patrols in the Caribbean Sea as a unit of the special service squadron until decommissioning at Philadelphia 21 April 1922.

Niagara recommissioned 24 June 1924, Comdr. Paul P. Blackburn in command. She sailed 3 November to survey in the Caribbean under the direction of the Navy Hydrographie Offiee. She operated most of the next 8 years charting the Gulf of Venezuela and the coast of Central America.

Her last survey eruise ended when she returned to Philadelphia 17 October 1930. Niagara decommissioned 3 March 1931; and her name was struck from the Navy List 10 December 1931. She was sold for scrapping 13 September 1933 to the Northern Metal Co., Philadelphia, Pa.

 

'); ');