USS Wacissa AOG-59  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Wacissa AOG-59

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Wacissa

A river in the state of Florida.

(AOG-59: dp. 4,335 (f.); 1. 310'9"; b. 48'6"- dr 15'8"

s. 14 k.; cpl. 124; a. 4 3", 2 40mm.; cl. P~tap*sco) '

Wacissa (AOG-59) was laid down on 11 November 1944 at Savage, Minn., by Cargill, Inc.; launched on 15 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Albert Ford; and completed on 20 May 1946. Declared surplus to Navy needs on 1 June 1946, the ship was authorized for disposal on the 5th. Struck from the Navy list on 23 April 1947, Wacissa was delivered to the Maritime Commission during the following summer and berthed with the Maritime Commission Reserve Fleet at Lake Charles, La. She was then placed on a list of ships slated for disposal via sale.

The Navy, however, requested that the gasoline tanker be taken off the sale list. She was accordingly transferred to the Naval Reserve Fleet berthing area at Orange, Tex., on 3 April 1948. However, as facilities for upkeep and preservation were minimal at Orange, Wacissa was towed to New Orleans, La., for a preservation process which would prepare the ship for retention in the Navy's inactive fleet. Towed back to Orange, Tex., the ship was reinstated on the Navy list on 30 April, inactivated on 2 May, and placed in reserve on the 3d.

The onset of the Korean War caused an expansion of the United States Navy. On 18 February 1952, Wacissa was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) and received the designation T-AOG59. She took part in Operation "Sumac," exercises conducted in the North Atlantic from May through July 1952, and subsequently carried cargoes of high test aviation gasoline and lubricating oils to Goose Bay, Labrador, and Argentia, Newfoundland. She ran aground at Polaris Reef, Baffin Bay, on 9 October. Floated free on the 16th, the tanker then put into Halifax, Nova Scotia, for repairs which lasted from 25 October to 19 December. She then resumed her operations along the east coast and continued them into the spring of 1954.

On 25 May 1954, Wacissa was placed out of service, in reserve, and was assigned to the Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Berthed at the Mayport Basin of the Green Cove Springs facility, the gasoline tanker remained in reserve until returned to MSTS on 24 May 1956. She carried a cargo of gasoline and oils from
Aruba, Netherlands West Indies, to San Pedro and Long Beach, Calif., via the Panama Canal, and operated for a time off the west coast, stopping at Seattle, Wash., and San Francisco, Calif. She was then, inactivated at the latter port and delivered to the Maritime Administration-the renamed Maritime Commissionand, on 16 October 1956, was delivered to the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif.

Remaining in custodial status from that date, she lay there inactive until 8 April 1957, when she was transferred back to MSTS to resume her lubricant and fuel carrying duties off the west coast. Wacissa was tarnsferred to the Department of the Air Force on 16 September 1957; but, soon thereafter, she was turned over to the Canadian government to operate with the Northern Transportation Co., Ltd-the firm which had assumed responsibility for the annual resupplying of Distant Early Warning (DEW) line radar stations in the central Arctic.

The Canadian government operated the tanker in these northern climes until 1963, when Wacissa was returned to the United States Navy. Struck from the Navy list on 1 December 1963, she was transferred to the Maritime Administration in May 1964 and was then sold in the same month to the Nicolai Joffre Corp., of Beverly Hills, Calif., for scrappini.

Wacondah

(ScStr: t. 190 (gross); 1. 177'; b* 17% dr. 7'3" (mean);
s. 18 k.; cpl. 28; a. 2 6-pdrs., 2 mg.)

Revolution-a steel-hulled, screw steam yacht designed by Charles L. Seabury was completed in 1901, at Morris Heights, N.Y., by the Charles L. Seabury Co. and the Gas Engine and Power Co., for mining engineer F. Augustus Heinze. One of the first American turbine-powered steam "express" yachts, Revolution was 1ater acquired by Boston banker Charles Hayden in 1907 and renamed Wacondah.

When the United States entered World War I on 6 April 1917, the Navy soon began collecting ships and small craft from civilian owners to serve as auxiliaries and patrol craft. Inspected at the 3d Naval District, Wacondah was acquired by the Navy on 24 May 1917. Fitted out for wartime service, Wacondah was commis sioned on 14 September 1917, Lt. (jg.) Samuel "Wainwright, USNRF, in command.

By virtue of her light construction-built for speed rather than sea-keeping Wacondah was restricted to "sheltered waters." Assigned to the 3d Naval District, she operated on local patrol duties out of New York harbor for the duration of the war. Decommissioned and struck from the Navy list on 21 August 1919, Wacondah was sold on 4 June 1920 to the International Steamship and Trading Co.
hjk