USS Halawa  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Halawa AOG-12

Halawa

A cape on the island of Molokai in the Hawaiian Islands.

(AOG 12: dp. 3,650 It.; 1. 255'; b. 43', dr. 16', s. 9 k.
cpl. 63; a. 1 3")

Halawa (AOW-12) was built as Blue Sunoca in 1929 by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, PA, and operated as a tanker for the Sun Oil Co. until acquired by the Navy through the Maritime Commission in 1942. She was renamed Halawa and commissioned 10 April 1942, at Pearl Harbor, Lt. Comdr. W. J. Lane in command

Halawa was based at Pearl Harbor and vicinity during the entire war. She operated at the Naval Base and at Naval Air Station Kanoche supplying fuel oil and diesel fuel. The ship made occasional voyages to Palmyra, Canton, and Johnston Islands 1942-1944, supplying those bases with fuel. While returning to Pearl Harbor from Canton Island 21 December 1944 Halawa suffered a serious generator failure and was towed the rest of the way by tug ATR-12. After her arrival 26 December she stayed at Pearl Harbor until being towed to San Francisco after the war. Halawa arrived San Francisco 25 September 1945 and decommissioned 25 October. She was returned to tho Maritime Commission, was placed in reserve for a time, and was sold 5 July 1948 to Foss Launch and Tug Co.

 

'); ');