Paducah gbt

Home
Naval Shopping
About MultiEducator
American History
World History
Election Central
NationbyNation
Primary Source Documents
20th Century Almanac
Aviation History
Navy History
Railroad History
America's Wars
Biographies

Amistadt

Civics

History of Israel
Other Links
About Historycentral
Advertise
Contact US

This Month in Naval History
Paducah gbt

Paducah


(Gbt. No.18:dp. 1,084; 1. 200'5"; b. 35'; dr. 13'4"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 184; a. 4 4", 2 1 pdr.; cl. Dubuque)

Paducah (Gunboat No. 18) was launched 11 October 1904 by Gas Engine and Power Co. and Charles L. Seabury Co., Morris Heights, N.Y., sponsored by Miss Anna May Yeiser and commissioned 2 September 1005, Comdr. Albert G. Winterhalter in command. She was Reclassified AG-7 in 1919 IX-23, 24 April 1922; and PG-18, 4 November 1940.

After shakedown, Paducah joined the Caribbean Squadron early in 1906 to protect American lives and interests through patrols and port ealls to Caribbean and Central and South American cities. She patrolled Mexican waters in the aftermath of the Vera Cruz incident through the summer of 1914, then returned to her Caribbean operations, performing surveys from time to time.

Paducah was ordered north to prepare at Portsmouth for European service in World War I, for which she sailed from New York 29 September 1917. She reached Gibraltar 27 October, and based there as convoy escort to North Africa, Italy, the Azores, and Madeira. She attacked a U-boat 9 September 1918 after it had sunk one of her convoy, and was credited with possibly damaging the submarine.

Leaving Gibraltar 11 December, Paducah reached Portsmouth, N.H., 7 January 1919 to decommission 2 March 1919. She recommissioned 16 August 1920 through 9 September 1921 for survey duty in the Caribbean, and commissioned a third time 2 May 1922 for duty training Naval Reservists in the 9th Naval District. She arrived Duluth, Minn., 20 June.

Paducah returned to the East Coast in early 1941, and through World War II, trained Armed Guard gunners in Chesapeake Bay, thus giving vital service to the Merehant Marine's erueial World War II assignment. Decommissioning 7 September 1945, she transferred to the Maritime Commission 19 December 1946, and was sold the same day to Maria Angelo, Miami, Fla.

 

© 1999  MultiEducator, Inc.  All rights reserved
Report Problems here.

GO TO
Historyshopping.com
For Caps, Jackets,Parkas,
Polo Shirts, Plaques,

Windbreakers,,Sweatshirts
Fleece, Mugs and Mousepad.
The Perfect Source for Naval Gifts