USS Potomac  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Potomac Fr.

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Potomac



(Fr: t. 1,726,1. 177'10": b. 46'2", d. 20'6", cpl. 480, a. 8 8"
42 32-pdrs.; cl. Raritan)

The first Potomae, a frigate laid down by the Washington Navv Yard in August 1819, was launched March 1822. Fitting out was not completed until 1831, when Captain John Downes assumed command as first commanding officer.

On her first overseas cruise, Potomac departed New York 19 August 1831 for the Pacific station via the Cape of Good Hope. On 6 February 1832, Potomac shelled the town of Quallah Batoo, Sumatra in punishment for the capture of merehantman Friend~hip of Salem, Mass. and the massacre of her erew in February 1831. Of the 282 sailors and Marines who landed, two were killed while 150 natives, including the village chieftain, Po Mahomet died for their piracy. After circumnavigating the world, Potomae returned to Boston 23 May 1834.

The frigate next made two cruises to the Brazil station, protecting American interests in Latin America from 20 October 1834 to 5 March 1837, and from 12 May 1840 to 31 July 1842. From 8 December 1844 to 4 December 1845, she patrolled in the West Indies, and again from 14 March 1846 to 20 July 1847 in the Caribbean and the Gulf. During this latter period, she landed troops at Port Isabel, Texas, on 8 May 1846 in support of General Taylor's army at the battle of Palo Alto. She also participated in the sedge of Vera Cruz, 9 to 28 March 1847.

Potomac served as flagship for the Home Squadron 1855-1856. At the outbreak of the Civil War, she departed New York 10 September 1861 for the West Gulf Blockade Squadron off Vera Cruz. She became the stores ship for the squadron and remained at Pensseola Navy Yard as a receiving ship until 1867, when she was sent to Philadelphia. She remained at League Island Navy Yard, Philadelphia until she decommissioned 13 January 1877. She was sold to E. Stannard & Co. 24 May 1877.