(ACV-20: dp. 7800; 1. 495'8"; b. 111'6"; dr. 2fi'; s. 17.6
k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5"; cl. Bogue)
Laid down under a Maritime Commission contract, the second Barnes (ACV 20) was transferred to the Navy 1 May 1942; launched 22 May 1942 by Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. G. L. Hutchinson, widow of Lieutenant Hutchinson, and commissioned 20 February 1943, Captain C. D. Glover in command. Originally classified AVG-20, ~he was reclassified ACV 20, 20 August 1942; CVE-20, 15 July 1943; and CVE 20, 12 June 1955.
The major task of Barnes throughout World War II was the transporting of aircraft and personnel from the United States to the forward areas of the Pacific. In addition she served as a combat, training, and pilot qualifying carrier.
While performing these duties she launched her planes on several raids against Tarawa in the Gilbert Islands operation (20 November-5 December 1943); and provided invaluable aircraft replenishment to the various task groups of the 3rd Fleet during the western Caroline Islands operation (6 September-14 October 1944), and the Luson attacks ( l. October 1944).
Atter Japan's surrender, Barnes remained in the Far East on occupation duty until 3 November l945. Returning to the United States in March 1946 Barnes remained on the west coast for a period of time and then steamed to Boston, where she was placed out of commission in reserve 29 August 1946.
Barnes was awarded three battle stars for her service during World War II