USS Tingey II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Tingey II DD-272

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Tingey II

(Destroyer No. 272: dp. 1,215 (n.) l. 314'436"; b 30'11"; dr. 9'9Y4" (aft); s. 3i.53 k. (tl.); cpl122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt., 2 act.; cl. Clemson)

The second Tingey (Destroyer No. 272) was laid down on 8 August 1918 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., launched on 24 April 1919; sponsored by Miss Mary Velora Arringdale; and commissioned at the Boston Navy Yard on 26 July 1919, Comdr. Alfred W. Brown in command.

After fitting out, the destroyer proceeded to the west coast and joined Division 31, Squadron 2, Flotilla 10, at San Diego late in December. For the next two and one-half years, the destroyer operated out of San Diego with the Pacific Fleet. During most of that period, however, she had only 50 percent of her normal complement. Consequently, though she did conduct operations and patrols along the western coast of Mexico, she remained in a quasi reserve status throughout her brief period of commissioned service. She made but one organizational change during her active career and that came in the latter part of 1921 when she was reassigned to Division 29, Squadron 10.

In 1922, the antimilitarist feeling prevalent following World War I combined with the government's policy of financial retrenchment to cause the deactivation of a substantial portion of the Navy's recently expanded destroyer fleet. Tingey, therefore, was placed out of commission on 24 May 1922, berthed at San Diego, and remained there for the remainder of her career. After 14 years of inactivity, Tingey's name WAS struck from the Navy list on 19 May 1936. She was sold to the Schisvone-Bonomo Corp., of New York City, on 29 September 1936 and was scrapped in December.
hjk