USS Renshaw II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Renshaw II DD-176

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Renshaw II

(DD-176: do. 1,284; 1. 314'4", b. 30'11"; dr. 9'10", s. 33 k.
cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 4 21" tt.; cl. Little)

The second Renshaw (DD-176) was laid down 8 May 1918 by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., launched 21 September 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Frank Johnson; and commissioned 31 July 1919, Lt. Comdr. R. A. Hall in command.

Renshaw was assigned to the Destroyer Foree, Pacific Fleet. She joined the Fleet in Monterey Bav, and passed in review for the Seeretary of the Navy who observed the Fleet from Oregon. Renshaw departed San Francisco 16 September for her base of operations, San Diego, where she arrived on the 20th. Her brief service was none too active, since small appropriations limited most units of the Fleet to routine target practice and engineering competition. The destroyer participated in exercises off the California coast, performed

patrol and dispatch duty, transported prisoners, and made one training emise with naval reservists Out of Portland, Oreg.

Renshaw cruised to Hawaii from 25 March to 28 April 1920, with Destroyer Flotilla 11, to conduct a thorough reconnaissance of the islands with a view toward establishing an operating base for the Fleet. During the period from 16 December 1920 to 4 April 1921, the ship was at the Puget Sound Navy Yard for overhaul, returning to base on 8 April to rejoin the Destroyer Force.

In January 1922 Renshaw calibrated radio compasses for the 12th Naval District. She returned to San Diego 28 Janu ary and remained moored, except for a brief trip to San Pedro 20-24 February, until decommissioned 27 May 1922. The destroyer was laid up at San Diego until disposed of in 1936 in accordance with the London Treaty for the limitation and reduction of naval armament. She was struck from the Navy list 19 May 1936, sold 29 September to Sehiavone Bonomo Corp., and reduced to a hulk 2 December 1936.