Israel dd 98


Buy a Ship Mug
HOME
Buy a Ship Cap
Contact US
Naval Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Israel DD- 98

Israel

(DD-98: dp. 1,060; 1. 314'5"; b. 21'9"; dr. 8'6"; s. 35 k.;
cpl. 113; a. 4 4", 2 1-pdrs., 12 21" tt. )

Israel was launched 22 June 1918 by the Fore River Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Miss Dorothy Brown; and commissioned 13 September 1918, Lt. Comdr. George N. Barker in command.

Following shakedown out of Boston, Israel rendezvoused with South Carolina at Newport 24 September 1918, and performed escort duty on the East Coast as a unit of the Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet. She departed New York 13 October with a convoy, and arrived at Gibraltar 6 November, via the Azores and Port Leixoes, Portugal. Having escorted the Brazilian Detachment to Gibraltar Harbor 9 November, Israel arrived Venice 18 November and joined the Eastern Mediterranean Forces. She operated out of Venice and Spalato as a station ship transporting supplies and personnel until 12 July 1919 when she departed Villefranche, France, via Gibraltar and the Azores, arriving Boston 24 July.

While undergoing overhaul at the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Israel was fitted out as a light minelayer and her classification changed 17 July 1920 to DM-3.

Sailing from Portsmouth, N.H., 4 March 1921, Israel cruised along the 13ast Coast until 5 July when she joined Mine Squadron 1, Atlantic Fleet, at Gloucester, Mass. During the remainder of the year she engaged in mining practice and exercises on the East Coast; and from January to April 1922, participated in important fleet exercises based at Guantanamo Bay and Culebra, Puerto Rico.

Israel arrived Philadelphia 15 May 1922 and decommissioned there 7 July. Remaining inactive during the following years, she was reduced to a hulk in 1936 in accordance with the London Treaty. Her name was struck from the Navy List 25 January 1937, and she was sold to the Union Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore Md., 18 April 1939.
Mug Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Windbreaker