USS Yeaton

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Yeaton WPC-156

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Yeaton
(WPC-156: dp. 220; 1. 125'; b. 23'6", dr. 9'; s. 11 k.;
cpl. 38; a. 1 3"; cl. Active)

Yeaton—a 125-foot steel-hulled, diesel-powered Coast Guard cutter—was completed in 1927 at Camden, N.J. by the American Brown Boveri Electric Corp.—an commissioned into Coast Guard service soon thereafter. She initially served at Norfolk, VA., in 1928; and successively at St. Petersburg, Fla., from 1929 to 1931; at Pascagoula, Miss., in 1932 and 1933; back at St. Petersburg in 1934, at Gulfport, Miss., from 1935 to 1938; at Stapleton, N.Y., in 1939; and at Gallups Island, Mass., in 1940. When the Coast Guard came under Navy control in 1941, Yeaton most probably operated on patrol duties. No records of the ship's wartime service have been found, however, leaving one only to conjecture. Sometime in 1942, the ship was classified as a patrol craft and given the hull number WPC-156.

After World War II, Yeaton resumed operation with the Coast Guard, out of New London, Conn. In the 1960's, the Coast Guard reclassified the ship as a medium endurance cutter (WMEC) and gave her the identification WMEC-156. Yeaton was eventually decommissioned and laid up in 1970.
hjk