USS Vaga II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Vaga II YTB-374

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Vaga II

(YTB-374: dp. 320 (f.); 1. 102'0" b. 25'0", dr. 10'0"; cpl. 12; s. 12 k.; cl. Allaquippa)The second Vaga (YT-374) was laid down on 21
March 1944 at Port Arthur, Tex., by the Gulfport Boiler and Iron Works, under a contract from the General Motors Corp. launched on 6 May 1944, reclassified YTB-374 on 15 May 1944, and completed and delivered to the Navy on 31 May 1944.

Placed in service soon thereafter, Vaga was initially allocated to the 14th Naval District and proceeded to the Hawaiian Islands to perform tug and tow services and to provide waterfront fire protection at the important Pacific Fleet base at Pearl Harbor. Subsequently placed out of service, in reserve, at San Diego with the Pacific Reserve Fleet, in March 1946, Vaga remained inactive through the late 1950's.

Reactivated in January 1961 and reclassified YTM374 in February 1962, Vaga resumed her harbor tug duties at San Diego, Calif., with the service force of the Pacific Fleet. For the next decade, she operated out of that port until taken out of service and struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1972. She was sold in August 1973.
hjk