USS Ivy

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Ivy tug

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Ivy

(Tug: t. 50; dr. 10'; s. 10 k.)

/vy, a screw tug, was built as Terror by the Army at St. Louis in 1862; transferred to the Navy 30 September 1862 and renamed Ivy.

Assigued to the Mississippi Squadron, Ivy took part as tug and dispatch boat in the winter operations around Vicksburg 1862-63. In the important attack on Fort Hindman 9-11 January 1863, she served as Rear Admiral D D. Porter's flagship. As the more powerful gunboats pounded the fort in support of General Sherman's attack, Ivy came alongside both Cincinnati and Louisville to help quench flres started by shore flre. A memorandum in the offlce of Secretary Welles noted: The offlcers and crew behaved with great coolness, though under a brisk flre of musketry." The naval attack, directed from Ivy, resulted in Sherman's capture of the fort, a severe blow to the Confederate cause in the West.

Ivy was also present for the passage of the Vicksburg batteries by Admiral Porter's ships 16-17 April 1863. Lashed to the side of the powerful Benton, Ivy steamed boldly past Vicksburg, opening operations south of the city to Porter and contributing importantly to the fall of Grand Gulf and eventually to the capture of Vicksburg. In May the tug accompanied the gunboats up the Red River. The ships reached abandoned Fort De Russy 5 May and 2 days later took Alexandria, only to be forced back downstream by low water. The fort was Partially destroyed and Porter returned to Grand Gulf to continue the assault on Vicksburg.

The tug remained near Vicksburg, often as Porter's flagship, until after its fall 4 July 1863, and subsequently acted as a dispatch boat and tug on the river and as a receiving ship for prisoners of war. Ivy entered the Red River again in 1864 when the major part of Admiral Porter's fleet was caught by low water above the rapids at Alexandria. She assisted gunboat Ozar7: over the rapids 13 May 1864 and returned to the Mississippi with the fleet amid frequent Confederate attacks from shore.

For the remainder of the war Ivy was used to tend and pump coal barges at Donaldsonville. She was sold at Mound City, Ill., 17 August 1865 to W. G. Priest.

Ivy, a steam tug, was purchased as Monitor by the Navy in 1863 and renamed Montery (q.v.). ~Her name was changed to lvy 3 January 1891 and she was sold 7 October 1892.