USS Glen White  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Glen White

Glen White

A merchant name retained.

(AK; dp. 12,163; 1. 395'; b. 65'; dr. 27'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 73;
a.15",16-pdr.)

Glen White was built as Tidewater by the New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N.J., for the American-Italian Steam Ship Co. New York, Launched 20 April 1918; renamed Glen White; acquired from the United States Shipping Board at Philadelphia on 22 July 1918; commissioned the same day, Lt Comdr. Eugene Lane, USNRF, in command.

Glen White was assigned to NOTS and departed Philadelphia on 25 July 1918 to load 6,149 tons of general Army cargo at New York, then proceeding to Hampton Roads on 5 August to join a convoy that reached St. Nazaire, France, on the 26th. She returned to New York on 29 September. After two similar voyage carrying a total of 12,458 tons of Army cargo to Brest and St. Nazaire, France, she decommissioned at Baltimore 6 March 1919 and returned to USSB.