USS Bucyrus AK-234  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Bucyrus Victory AK-234

Bucyrus Victory

Bucyrus is a city in Ohio.

(AK-234: dp. 4480; 1. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 29'2"; s. 15.5 k.;
cpl, 99; a. 15", 13"; cl. Boulder Victory)

Bucyrus Victory (AK-234) was launched 31 October 1944 by Permanente Metals Corp., Yard No. 1, Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Sergeant Eleanor Fegley, USMC; transferred to the Navy 29 November 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander F. A. Geissert in command.

Bucyrus Victory arrived at Pearl Harbor 3 January 1945. She returned to San Francisco on the 20th, having rescued three survivors of an airplane crash enroute. Heading westward again in February, she steamed to Eniwetok and Ulithi, before proceeding to Okinawa. Between 3 April and 30 June 1945 Bucyrus Victory carried supplies to the assault troops on Okinawa and to the 3d and 5th Fleet units supporting them.

With the cessation of hostilities she served on Far Eastern occupation duty until departing for the United States 16 November 1945. Upon arrival she underwent pre-inactivation overhaul and was decommissioned 24 February 1946. She was returned to the Maritime Commission 24 April 1946.

Bucyrus Victory received one battle star for her World War II service.