USS Wapasha

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Wapasha YN-46

 


Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Wapasha

(YN-46: t. 200; 1. 94'4 1/2"; b. 25'0"; dr. 8'6"; s. 13 k.; a. 2 .30-cal. mg.)

William J. Moran-a steel-hulled, single-screw tug completed in September 1938 at Bay City, Mich., by the Defoe Boat and Motor Works, Inc.—was acquired by the Navy from the Moran Towing and Transportation Co., of New York City, on 9 December 1940. The tug was classified as a net tender, renamed Wapasha, and designated YN-45 on 26 December 1940. Converted for naval use at the New York Navy Yard, Wapasha was placed in service on 27 January 1941.

After shifting to her home port, Boston, Mass., on 1 February, she took up her net tending duties in Narragansett Bay, based at the naval training station. During her service there—which lasted into 1947— she was twice reclassified: on 8 April 1942, Wapasha was reclassified a tug-class net tender and redesignated YNT-13; and, on 4 August 1946, she was reclassified a large harbor tug and redesignated YTB-737.

Placed out of service on 11 February 1947, Wapasha was struck from the Navy list on 11 March and turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal on 16 May. Acquired by Tug Anne Moran, Inc., of New York, N.Y., the vessel was renamed Anne Moran and performs harbor tug services in New York harbor into 1977.
hjk