USS Ripley

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Ripley PC-808

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Ripley

(PC-808: dp. 375; 1. 174'9", b. 23'; dr. 7'6"; s. 20 k., cpl. 62;
a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 5 20mm., 2 dcp., 2 dct., 2 rkt.)

PC-808, a steel-hulled submarine chaser, was laid down 16 October 1943 by Commereial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.;

launched 27 November 1943, and commissionec at Puget Sound Navy Yard 7 March 1945, Lt. William H. Barton, Jr., in command.

Departing Portland 18 March, PC-808 cruised down the coast and underwent shakedown and training Ollt of San Pedro and San Diego, Calif., through the end of April. Standing out of San Diego the 29th, she arrived at Pearl Harbor 7 May, where she conducted further training exercises and patrols for the next 2 weeks. The submarine chaser then commenced patrol and escort operations that took her from Pearl Harbor to Eniwetok, Saipan, Ulithi, and Guam through the next 7 months.

PC-808 ealled at Pearl Harbor 11 December, then proeeeded to San Diego for the Christmas holidays. Scheduled for layup at Green Cove Snrings, Fla., she transited the Panama Canal and reported to Commander, Atlantic Fleet, 6 January 1946. However, after 2 months in Florida, she put in at Charleston, S.C., 16 April-7 June for overhaul, after which she sailed for New York City, arriving there 9 June.

Thenee sailing 22 June via Long Island Sound, the Cape Cod Canal, Halifax, and Montreal, she arrived at Chicago 7 July to take up reserve training and patrol duties on Lake Michigan.

After nearly 3 years of sueh Great Lakes duty, PC-808 departed Chieago and decommissioned at Norfolk, Va., on 10 March 1949. Named Ripley (PC-808) 1 February 1956, she was struck from the Navy list 1 April 1956 and thence sold to Hughes Bros. at Norfolk 17 August 1959.