USS Paragould

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Paragould PC-465

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Paragould

(PC-465: dp. 300; 1. 174'9"; b. 23'; dr. 7'6"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 80 a. 2 3", 2 20mm, 2 dcp., 2 act.; cl. PC-461)

Paravoould (PC-465) a steel-hulled submarine chaser, was laid down 19 August 1941 by George Lawley ~ Son Corp.

Neponset, Mass., Iaunched 28 March 1942, sponsored by Miss Edna Tamm; and commissioned at Boston 25 May.

On her maiden voyage from Boston to Norfolk Va. Paragould served aR an ansi-submarine convoy escort. Tience from Norfolk she provided escort service for a second convoy, this time to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

In August Paravoould commenced patrol and escort operations between Coco Solo, Panama and Guantanamo Bay. She also called at several Central and South American ports. After a short overhaul at Key West, Fla. in June 1943, she resumed convoy escort duties in the Caribbean.

Paravoould underwent a major overhaul at Key West during the summer of 1944 preparatory to transit to Pearl Harbor. She reported 6 December to Commander, Hawaiian Sea Frontier, and immediately commenced interAsland convoy escort duty and patrol. In January and February 1945 she escorted a convoy as far as Canton Island, touching at Palmyra, Fanning, and Christmas Islands in the process.

She was next assigned operations out of Eniwetok, and from May through August she performed as a convoy escort, patrol, and hunter-killer craft. Paragould transferred to

Kwajalein 19 August but served there only briefly before returning to the United States.

Paragould was placed out of commission, in reserve and berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla. in 1946. She was struck from the Navy List 1 July 1960 and transferred to Venezuela in April 1961 as Pulpo (P-7).