USS Bangor PF-16 >

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Asheboro-PC-822

Bangor

(PF-16: dp. 1430, 1. 303'11", b. 37'6"- dr. 13'8", s.
20.3 k.; cpl. 214; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)

Bangor (PF-16) was launched 6 November 1943 by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio, sponsored by Mrs. Ruth R. Hutchins, wife of the Mayor of Bangor; commissioned 22 November 1944, Lieutenant Commander F. J. Statts, USCG' in command, and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.

Between 23 Junuary and 2 June 1945 the Coast Guard manned Bangor made two trans-Atlantic escort crossings to North Africa. During late June she transited the Panama Canal and took part in submarine excercises off Saboga Island, Panama Bay. During September she cruised in the waters off Alaska and was later assigned to weather station duty off Pearl Harbor.

Bangor was decommissioned and loaned to the Coast Guard 15 April 1946, returned by the Coast Guard 16 August 1946; and sold to Mexico 24 November 1947.