USS Arcata PC 601

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Arcata PC-601

Arcata

II

(PC-601: dp. 280; 1. 173'8"; b. 23'0"; dr. 10'10"; s. 20.2 k. (tl.);
cpl. 65; a. 13", 2 20mm., 2 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. PC-461)

PC-601 was laid down on 17 March 1942 at Morris Heights, N.Y., by the Consolidated Shipbuilding. Corp.; launched on 23 May 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Junius Morgan; and commis- on 1 September 1942, Lt. G. D. Tammers, USNR, in command.

The subchaser conducted shakedown training along the east coast of the United States in September and October and, in November, reported for duty with the West Sea Frontier. By the spring of 1943, she had begun to escort ships among bases on the Alaskan coast and in the Aleutian Islands.

A year later, early in April 1944, the ship proceeded to Seattle for two months of duty before continuing south to San Francisco where she served until late September. At that time, the subchaser moved west to Pearl Harbor. Early in October, she headed for Eniwetok in the Marshalls. Upon her arrival there, PC-601 began escorting convoys between American bases in the Marshalls, the Marianas, and the Carolines. She remained so occupied through the end of World War II and into the fall of 1945. After returning to the west coast of the United States via Pearl Harbor in the spring of 1946, PC-601 was placed out of commission at Astoria, Oreg., on 27 July 1946. Berthed with the Columbia River Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, she remained inactive for the rest of her career. In February of 1956, she was named Arcata. Her name was struck from the Navy list in July 1960, and she was sold in April 1961.