USS R-14

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

R-14 SS-91

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
R-14

(Submarine No. 91: dp. 569 (surf.), 680 (subm.), l. 186'2"; b. 18'; dr. 14'6"; s. 13.5 k. (surf.) 10.5 k. (subm.); cpl. 29; a. 13",421"tt.;cl R-1)

R-14 (Submarine No. 91) was laid down 6 November 1918 by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., Launched 10 October 1919, sDonsored by Miss Florence L. Gardner, and commissioned at Boston 24 December 1919; Lt. Vineent A. Clark, Jr., in command.

After shakedown off the New England coast, R-14 moved to Ncw London where she prepared for transfer to the Pacific Fleet. In May she headed south. Designated SS-91 in July, she transited the Panama Canal in the same month and arrived at Pearl Harbor on 6 September. There, for the next 9 years, she assisted in the development of submarine and antisubmarine warfare tseties, and participated in search and rescue operations.

During a search for the tug Conestoga in May 1921, she ran out of fuel southeast of Hawaii. Sails were made from blankets and mattresses, and the submarine arrived at Hilo on 15 May after 5 days under sail.

On 12 December 1930, she cleared Pearl Harbor for the last time and headed back to the Atlantic. Proceeding via San Diego and the Panama Canal, she returned to New London 9 February 1931, and through the end of the decade conducted training exercises for the Submarine School. In the spring of 1941, she moved down the coast to Key West, her homeport as of 1 June. In the fall, she returned to New London for overhaul and on 22 November resumed operations out of Key West. Into April 1945 she conducted training exercises for the Sound School and patrolled the Yueatan Channel and the Florida Straits. On 25 April she headed north and in early May arrived at Philadelphia.

Decommissioned on 7 May and struck from the Navy list on the 19th, R-14 was sold 28 September 1945 to Rossoff Bros., New York. She was later resold to the Northern Metals Co., Philadelphia and scrapped in 1946.