USS R-13

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

R-13 SS-90

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
R-13

(Submarine No. 90: dp. 569 (surf.), 680 (subm.), 1. 186'2" b. 18', dr. 14'6"; s. 13.5 k. (surf.) 10.5 k. (subm.), cpl. 29 a. 1 3", 4 21" tt.; cl. R-l )

R-13 (Submarine No. 90) was laid down by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., 27 March 1918, launched 27 August 1919, sponsored by Miss Fanny B. Chandler and commissioned 17 October 1919, Lt. Comdr. Walter E. boyle in command

Following shakedown in New England waters, R-I S briefly operated out of New London. In the spring of 1920 she conducted training patrols off Bermuda, then prepared for transfer to the Pacific. She departed the east coast in midJune, transited the Panama Canal in early July. Designated SS-90 at midmonth, she continued up the west coast to San Pedro, whence she headed for Hawaii on 26 August.

R-13 arrived at Pearl Harbor 6 September and for the next 9 years assisted in the development of submarine warfare taeties. Ordered back to the Atlantic with the new decade the submarine stood out from Pearl Harbor 12 December 193d and on 9 February 1931 arrived back at New London. There, she served as a training ship until 1941.

On 26 May 1941, R-13 headed south to her new homeport Key West. Arriving at the end of the month, she returned to New London in July, but was back off southern Florida in Aueust. During the fall she conducted operations in the Cuff of Mexico, then assumed training duties for the Sound School at Key West. Through World War II, she continued the work there and out of Port Everglades and conducted patrols in the Yueatan Channel and the Florida Straits.

With the cessation of hostilities, R-13 decommissioned 14 September 1945, was struck from tile Navy list 11 October 1945, and was sold 13 March 1946.