USS H-4

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

H-4 SS-147

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
H-4

Six of the H-class submarines, H-4 through H-9, were originally built by the Electric Boat Co. for the Imperial Russian Government. Their shipment was held up pending the outcome of the Russian Revolution, and the boats were stored in knockdown condition at Vancouver, B.C. All six were purchased by the Navy on 20 May 1918 and assembled at Puget Sound Navy Yard.

H-4

(SS-147; dp. 358 n.; 1. 150'4"; b. 15'10", dr. 12'5"; s.
14 k.; cpl. 25; a. 4 18" tt.; cl. R-1)

H-4 (SS-147) was launched 9 October 1918 at Puget Sound Navy Yard, and commissioned there 24 October 1918, Lt. Ralph O. Davis in command.

Stationed at San Pedro, Calif., first with SubDiv 6 and then SubDiv 7, H-4 participated in various battle and training exercises along the West Coast with her sister H-subs. These exercises were interrupted by occasional patrol duty off Santa Catalina Island and periodic overhauls at Mare Island.

In company with the two sub divisions and tender Beaver, H-4 sailed from San Pedro on 25 July 1922 and reached Norfolk on 14 September via Magdalena Bay, Corinto, and Coco Solo. She decommissioned there 25 October 1922. H-4 was struck from the Navy List 26 February 1931 and sold for scrap 14 September.