USS H-2

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

H-2 SS-29

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
H—2

(SS-29: dp. 358 (n.); 1. 150'4"; b. 15'10"; dr. 12'5"; s.
14k.;cpl.95; a.4 18"tt ;cl.H-l)

H-2 ( SS-29) originally Nautilus but renamed 17 November 1911, was launched by the Union Iron Works of San Francisco 4 June 1913 sponsored by Mrs. William Ranney Sands; and commissioned 1 December 1913, Lt ( j.g. ) Howard H. J. Benson in command.

Attached to the Pacific Fleet, H-2 operated along the West Coast, usually in company with H-1, on various exercises and patrols out of San Pedro until October 1917 when she sailed for the East Coast. Transferred to the Atlantic Fleet as of 9 November 1917, she cruised in the Caribbean for most of that winter, also conducting special submarine detection tests with aircraft and patrol vessels from Key West. After having new engines installed at Philadelphia in the spring of 191S, she resumed patrols in the Caribbean until the end of the war when she returned to the sub base at New London. From there she operated in Long Island Sound, often with student officers from the submarine school on board.

Heading west again, H-2 sailed with H-1 on 6 January 1920, touching at several Caribbean ports before transiting the Panama Canal on 20 February. When H-1 w ent aground off Santa Margarita Island on 12 March H-2 stood by and sent rescue and search parties for survivors, helping to save all but four of her sister ship's crew. She then continued to San Pedro, arriving 20 March.

Drills and exercises with the Pacific Fleet and the 7th Submarine Division out of San Pedro were interrupted by an extensive Mare Island overhaul in the winter of 1921, after which H-2 returned to the same schedule. In company with SubDiv 7, she sailed from San Pedro on 25 July 1922, reaching Hampton Roads on 14 September via Acapulco, Corinto. and Coco Solo. H-2 decommissioned there on 23 October 1922. Her name was struck from the Navy List 18 December 1930. She was sold for scrapping in September 1931.