USS Bonita SSK-3

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Bonita SSK-3

Bonita IV

(SSK-3: dp. 765; 1. 196'1"; b. 24'7"; dr. 14'5"; s. 13 k.;
cpl. 37; cl. Bas8)

The original contract for construction of Bonita (SSK-3) was let to New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J., but later transferred to Mare Island Naval Shipyard. She was launched as K-3,21 June 1951; sponsored by Mrs. J. S. Clark, widow of Commander Clark; commissioned 11 January 1952, Lieutenant Commander E. E. Hopley In command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.

K-3 joined Submarine Squadron 7 at Pearl Harbor 15 May 1952 and has since operated on experimental and normal submarine duties, making a cruise to Alaskan waters in August-September 1956. She was renamed Bonita 15 December 1955.