B-1-SS-10

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

B-1- SS-10

B-1

(SS-10: dp. 145, 1. 82'5" b. 12'6" dr. 10'7"; s. 9 k.
cpL 10; a. 2 18" TT.; cl. B)

B-1 was launched 30 March 1907 by Ebre River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., as Viper (SS-10), sponsored by Mrs. Lawrence Y. Spear; commissioned 18 October 1907, Lieutenant D. C. Gingham in command and reported to the 2d Submarine Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet.

Viper cruised along the Atlantic coast on training and experimental exercises until going into reserve at Charleston Navy Yard 30 November 1909. Recommissioned 15 April 1910 she served with the Atlantic Torpedo Fleet until assigned to the Reserve Torpedo Group at Charleston Navy Yard g May 1911. On 17 November 1911 her name was changed to B-1. In April 1914 B-1 was towed to Norfolk and later loaded on board Hector (AC-7) for transport to the Philippine Islands. Arriving at Olongapo, Luzon, 24 March 1915 B-1 was launched from the deck of Hector 15 April 1915 and recommissioned two days later.

B-1 was assigned to the 1st Submarine Division, Torpedo Flotilla, Asiatic Fleet, 19 May 1915 and later served with the 2nd Submarine Division in Manila Bay. On 1 December 1921 B-l was decommissioned at Cavite, Philippine Islands, and subsequently used as a target.