USS Phlox  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Phlox SwStr

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Phlox

(SwStr: t. 317'; 1. 145'; b. 24'; dph. 9'; dr. 6'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 32;)

Phlox, a wooden side wheel steamer built at Boston, Mass. in 1864 as F. W. Lincoln, was purchased by the Navy from MeKay & Aldus 2 August 1864, renaned Phlox the same day; and commissioned at Boston Navy Yard 14 September 1864, Aet. Ens. Douglas F. O'Brien in command.

Assigned to the North Atlantic Bloekading Squadron, Phloz steamed south late in September and operated in the James River helping maintain communications among the Union ships, supporting General Grant's operations against Riehmond. In January 1865 she steamed to Wilmington to support the joint Army-Navy attack on Ft. Fisher, N. C. which doomed Wilmington. After Ft. Fisher fell, Phloz returned to the James River where she served through the end of the war, decommissioning at the Washington Navy Yard 28 July 1865. Later that year Phlox was moved to Annapolis and subsequently served in a non-commissioned status as praetiee ship for midshipmen at the Naval Aeademy until 1873.