USS Philadelphia III  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Philadelphia III SwStr

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Philadelphia III


(SwStr: t. 500; 1. 200'; b. 30'; dph. 10'; a. 2 12-pdrs.)

The third Philadelphia, a side-wheel, iron-hulled steamer was operating as a trading vessel between Aequia Creek, Va. and Washington, D.C. at the outbreak of the Civil War. Seized 21 April 1862, in aceordanee with a Presidential order, she was ordered to the Washington Navy Yard, where she fitted out for naval service.

Philadelphia, Lt. William N. Jeffers in command, operated on the Potomae River as a patrol vessel. In May she was detailed to transport ordnance stores to Fortress Monroe, to Philadelphia and to New York. Upon return to the Washington Navy Yard, Jeffers reported that the steamer was in no respect suitable for outside service. She continued to operate on the Potomae River until October, 1861, primarily transporting troops downriver to Fort Washington.

Philadelphia was assigned duties with the North Atlantic Bloekading Squadron in October, and during January and February 1862 served as squadron flagship. Philadelphia took part in the expedition to Hatteras Inlet in January and served as flag-steamer to Flag Offieer Louis M. Goldsborough at the battle of Roanoke Island, N.C. 7-8 February. She also took part in the capture of New Berne and later participated in the expedition to the Dismal Swamp Canal 17-20 April.

From August 1863 until 1865 Philadelphia was flagship of the South Atlantic Bloekading Squadron. The highlight of her activities during this period was her participation in the operation against Charleston, S C. in thc fall of 1863.

With the close of hostilities Philadelphia was sent to the Washington Navy Yard where she decommissioned 31 August 1865. She was sold at public auction 15 September to N.L. and G. Griswold.