USS Oriole  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Oriole StwGbt

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Oriole
(StwGbt: t. 137; 1. 125'; b. 26'5", dph. 7'7", dr. 6'3" a. 2 30-pdr. P.r., 1 12-pdr. r., 6 24-pdrs.)

The first Oriole, a river sternwheel steamer, was acquired as Florence Miller from John Swassey & Co. at Cincinnati, Ohio, 7 December 1864, converted to a sternwheel gunboat by Mr. Joseph Brown at Mound City, III., and commissioned as Oriole 22 March 1865, Acting Master Edward Alford in command.

Assigned to the Mississippi Squadron 3 February 1865 while still named Florence Miller, Oriole departed Mound City 22 March for service in the 5th Naval District under Lt. Comdr. E. Y. McCauley. She performed blockading duties on the Mississippi River from Natchez to Vicksburg, Miss., until General Robert E. Lee's surrender to General Grant at Appomattox, Va., 9 April.

The gunboat was retained in the Mississippi Squadron for towing and patrol duties through July. On 4 August Oriole decommissioned at Mound City and was sold there to Mr. Thomas Scott 17 August 1865.