USS Aeolus  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Aeolus-

Franklin IV

(ScFr: dp. 5,170; 1. 265'; b. 53'8"; dr. 17'; a. 1 11",
34 9", 4 100-pdr. r.)

The fourth Franklin, a screw frigate, was laid down at the Portsmouth Navy Yard in 1854, and built in part of materials salvaged from the razeed ship-of the-line. For a time housed over, she was launched on 17 September 1864; commissioned on 3 June 1867 at Boston; and on 28 June sailed from New York as flagship of Admiral Farragut who assumed command of the European Squadron. Relieved by Ticonderoga she arrived back in New York on 10 November 1868.

Her second European cruise, beginning on 28 January 1869, was as flagship for Rear Admiral W. Radford. She served with the European Squadron until 30 September 1871 when she sailed for the United States. On 13 November 1871 she was decommissioned at Boston.

Recommissioned on 15 December 1873, she sailed on the North Atlantic Station. On 11 April 1874 she stood out to sea to join the European Squadron as flagship until 14 September 1876.

Franklin was placed out of commission at Norfolk on 2 March 1877 and recommissioned the same day as Receiving Ship for the Norfolk Station, continuing in this service until 14 October 1915 which marked her final decommissioning. She was stricken from the Navy Register on 26 October 1915 and sold.