USS Badger  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Badger

Badger

(ScStr: dp. 4784, 1. 329'7", b. 4S'3"; dr. 18'6"; s. 16 k.;
cpl. 235; a. ~ 5")

The first Badger, an auxiliary cruiser, was built in 1889 by John Roach and Sons, Chester, Pa,, as Yumuri; purchased 19 April 1898, converted to an auxiliary cruiser at New York Navy Yard, commissioned 25 April 1898, Commander A. S. Snow in command; and joined the North Patrol Squadron.

From 1 July to 18 August 1898 Badger served on the blockade of Cuba. On 26 July 1898, off the Dry Tortugas, she Seized a Spanish tug with two vessels in tow, each with a quarantine Hag hoisted. They were given medical assistance, provisioned, and kept in port until 3 August when a prize crew was put.aboard the tug to sail her to New York. The other two vessels with 399 prisoners of war were sent to Havana.

Badger left Guantanamo Bay 18 August 1898 with a contingent of Army troops, landing them at Montauk Point, N. Y., 24 August. Badger remained on the east coast until 26 December 1898 when she sailed to the Pacific, arriving at San Francisco 15 April 1899. From there she carried the Joint High Commission to Sumoa (26 April-13 May 1899) and then cruised in Samoan waters. Following her return to Mare Island Navy Yard 14 August 1899, she cruised along the Pacific coast until 6 October 1899 with the Oregon and California Naval Militia. Decommissioned 31 October 1899, Badger was transferred to the War Department 7 April 1900.