Gladwyne

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Glenwood PC-1140

Glenwood

Cities in Mills County, southwest Iowa, and in Pope County, west-central Minnesota.

(PC-1140: dp. 280 1. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 22 k.;
cpl. 05, a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 3 20mm., 2 rkt., 4 dcp., 2 dct.;
cl. PC~55S)

PC-1140 was laid down by Defoe Shipbuilding Corp. Bay City, Mich., 8 February 1943, Iaunched 14 June, and commissioned 22 January 1944, Lt. F. El. Beardsley, Jr., in command.

After shakedown at Miami, PC-1140 escorted convoy runs in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean until early June. Following an overhaul at Norfolk she sailed 4 July for the Mediterranean, arriving Bizerte on the 23d. Assigned to patrol duties, she operated along the coast of Italy until 14 August when she departed Ajaccio, Corsica to escort a convoy en route to the invasion of Southern France. Pa-ll40 patrolled in the assault area on the 15th, with subsequent runs convoying rear echelon and service troops to the newly opened front. The submarine-chaser returned to Naples 17 August.

For the rest of the war she operated on patrol and escort duty oft the Italian and French coasts. After VE Day, PC-1140 sailed for the United States, arriving Key West 14 June. She was scheduled for Pacific operations however, the war came to a victorious conclusion before deployment to the Far East. Following training exercises off Florida, the submarine chaser arrived Norfolk 6 November. PC-1140 decommissioned in January 1947 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla., she was named Glenwood (PC-1140) 15 February 1956. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 July 1960, and she was disposed of by Navy sale in March 1961.

PC-1140 received one battle star for World War II service.A borough in southeastern Pennsylvania.

(PC-782 dp. 280, 1. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 22 k.:

cpl.65,a.13",140mm. , 520mm., 2rkt., 2dcp. ,2dct.; cI.PC-461)

PC-782 was laid down 26 November 1942 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg., launched 31 December 1942: sponsored by Mrs. G. B. Wallace, and commissioned 19 July 1943, Bt. (j.g.) M. W. Thomas in command.

After shakedown, PC-782 conducted 3 months of patrol and escort duty while assigned to the Northern Sector, Western Sea Frontier, for ASW training. Sailing 4 December for duty in the Aleutian Islands, she steamed via Dutch Harbor, Alaska, to Attu Island. During the next 10 months she served on local patrol and escort duty throughout the Aleutian chain.

Departing Attu 25 October 1944, PC- 782 returned to the West Coast 11 November for overhaul at Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash. Between 6 and 10 March 1945 she sailed to San Francisco, and on 15 March she departed for Pearl Harbor as escort for LST-845. Arriving 24 March, she was assigned to the Hawaiian Sea Frontier and during the next 5 months operated as n patrol and escort ship.

PC-782 departed Pearl Harbor 12 September and arrived San Pedro the 21st. She sailed for the East Coast 5 October, transited the Panama Canal the 16th; and arrived Key West several days later. Following inactivation overhaul, she sailed 17 November for Green Cove Springs. Fla., arriving 20 November. After serving as Naval Reserve Training ship, PC-782 decommissioned in October 1949 and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While berthed in Norfolk, VA., she was named Glenolden 15 February 1956. Her name was struck from the Naval Register 1 April 1959, and she was sold 14 September 1959 to Hughes Bros., Inc.

 

'); ');