USS Gallipolis

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Gallipolis- PC-778

Gallipolis

A town in southern Ohio on the Ohio River, 30 miles northeast of Ironton.

(PC-778: dp. 295; 1. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 20.2 k.; cgl. 66, a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 3 20mm., 2 rkt., 4 dep., 2

dct.; cl. PC-461)

PC-778 was laid down 7 September 1942 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland Oreg.; launched 2~ November 1942, sponsored by Miss Virginia Sering; and commissioned 30 April 1943, Lt. TV. R. Herrick in command.

The new submarine chaser departed Astoria, Oreg., 21 May 1943 for shakedown out of San Diego. For the next year she operated along the West Coast as an escort, patrol, and aircraft-target ship. PC-778 departed Seattle 21 May 1944 for Alaska and arrived Dutch Harbor a week later for patrol and escort duty on the Aleutians. PC 778 departed Adak 15 November and returned to Seattle on the 26th.

After a four-month overhaul the submarine chaser made two escort voyages to the Hawaiian Islands. Upon arrival at Pearl Harbor 2 April 1945, she performed patrol and escort duty in the Hawaiian Islands and made one voyage to Canton Island. On 3 July, she sailed for Midway Island to assist in training submarines and to continue patrol duty.

After the war ended, PC-448 departed Midway 1 September for the West Coast, via Pearl Harbor and arrived Lost Angeles Harbor on the 28th. She sailed for the East Coast 11 October, transited the Panama Canal on the 26th and arrived Key West, Fla., D November. A month later the submarine chaser reported to Green Cove Springs, Fla. PC-778 transferred to Charleston, where she served as a reserve training ship until decommissioning in October 1949 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Norfolk. The veteran submarine chaser was named Gallipois 15 February 1956 and was struck from the Navy List 1 April 1957 and sold to Hughes Brothers, Inc., 15 September 1969.