USS Davenport

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Davenport- PF-69

Davenport

A city in Iowa.

(PF-69: dp. 1,430; 1. 303'11'; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s.
20 k.; cpl. 190; a. 2 3"; cl. Tacoma)

Davenport (PF-69) was launched 8 December 1943 by Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. E. Frick; transferred to the Navy 1 June 1944 and placed in service the same day; placed out of service for additional work a week later; and commissioned in full 15 February 1945, Commander H. F. Stolfi, USCG, in command.

Departing Norfolk 17 April 1945 Davenport joined Pert (PG 95) and Action (PG-86) for an antisubmarine patrol off Casco Bay. She returned to New York 24 April and 3 days later got underway to escort a convoy to Mers-el-Kebir Algeria, returning to Norfolk 7 June. Two days later she entered the Navy Yard at Charleston for conversion to a weather ship.

Davenport stood out from Charleston 26 June 1945 and on 1 July took station off Argentia, Newfoundland to report meteorological data. She remained on this duty until 21 October aside from the period 6 to 21 August during which she towed SC-705 to Reykjavik, Iceland. Arriving at Boston Navy Yard 25 October, Davenport remained there until decommissioned 4 February 1946. She was sold 6 June 1946.